Being self-employed can be stressful, scary, uncertain. It is very different to working for someone else. All of a sudden you are the one who has to make the decisions – no one else is going to tell you what to do.
You are doing EVERYTHING from planning, to networking, to looking for clients to paying the bills!
How do you stay motivated day to day? Finding ways to stay motivated is key to being inspired and happy with your decision to go it alone. This quote from the motivational speaker, Zig Ziglar says it well – “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”
These tips may help.
- Start out with a positive attitude – tell yourself how special you are and know your worth. If you believe you can do anything, other people will absorb that energy and react positively.
- Be decisive. Having made the decision to live the life you love, be the decision maker and make it work.
- Create goals and review them often. You need a reminder why you made the decision in the first place.
- Have a routine and stick to it.
- Be in control of the things in your life that you can control. Let go of the things you can’t control.
- Look after yourself. Be heallthy – exercise, eat sensibly, schedule downtime, get enough sleep. Pushing yourself at work will not help you be more productive. Set rules for yourself and stick to them.
Over the last 14 years that we have been self employed, there have been many times that self doubt has risen to the surface. Lying awake at night and thinking – what if? This can affect the way you work and stop you recognizing opportunities.
When this happens – and it will – it’s time to reset your brain. We go for a bike ride, https://www.facebook.com/girlandabike/ take a long walk, socialize with a friend. Whatever it is, take a break from work and the negative thoughts. You’d be surprised how different it will make you feel.
Being self employed is a journey that is well worth taking. By creating motivational tools and using them will help you stay inspired during the inevitable ups and downs and disappointments. Remind yourself why you decided to be your own boss.